A warning has been issued acroos Wales about potentially very dangerous 'dance mats'. These dance mats are of a type intended to be connected to a TV and are particularly attractive to children.
The dance mat is supplied in a cardboard box with mainly Chinese markings. The mat itself is a plastic sheet of about one metre square which plugs into the AV socket of a television to produce moving light effects to enable dancing on the mat.
Similar mats can be plugged into playstations or computers. The mat is accompanied by a transformer which plugs into the electrical mains supply.
Trading standards officers have recently received a complaint where the transformer supplied with the dance mat overheated as soon as it was plugged in causing the casing to melt. Whilst there was a potential for a fire to occur fortunately in this case a tragedy was averted.
The fault appears to be that the transformer has no internal short circuit or overload protection. Without this protection the transformer can easily overheat and catch fire. In addition the transformer of this particular dance mat was not sealed to prevent access to the electrical connections.
The dance mat appears to have been imported from China and it can be identified with a reference number SY-2000-04
Trading standards spokesmanr, Ron Hughes said: "I would urge anyone who has such a dance mat not to connect it to the mains to avoid a fire. It may be possible to continue use of the item if an alternative transformer is obtained."
Anyone who has one of these mats can get further advice from their local trading standards office.